MycoWorks Talk 11
Fashion to Farming with Elettra Wiedemann
“You only have one chance to make a first impression, so it better be great,” shares Elettra Wiedemann, former model, food writer, Executive Director of Mama Farm, about her learnings from a successful career in the fashion industry. In this episode, Elettra shares her long-life passion for environmentalism and food, why she left fashion for farming, and her story with MycoWorks.
“People are really visual. If it doesn’t look good or feel good, it’s not going to work. It doesn’t matter how well-intentioned any product is; you must have that polished, luxury look to get into circulation.”
“I’ve heard the word mycelia before. Had I ever imagined that it could turn into a leather-like product? No. Matt was totally blowing my mind. I never thought it was something that could be turned into a luxury fashion product.”
“When it comes to luxury retail products that have an eco-friendly quality, it’s really important that it’s just as luxurious, just as beautiful as the “normal” product. And that’s something you guys at MycoWorks have done with a pawn.”
“I hope there’s a farm-to-fashion movement just as there was a farm-to-table movement years ago.”
In this episode:
- Elettra’s story with MycoWorks and friendship with Matt
- A plate of oatmeal: her path to understanding biomedicine, biotechnology, and bio society
- From fashion to agriculture: “it’s a very long, tangled road.”
- The future of fashion: getting more connected to the source of what you’re wearing.
- “Fashion is a lot like farming.”
- “To me, sustainability means walking through the places I hike now with my kids and doing those same hikes with my grandchildren.”
MycoWorks Talks is a space to feed your wonder and curiosity for a new class of materials. Xevi Gallego, our VP of Brand Marketing, hosts talks with people in the MycoWorks universe, taking you on a behind-the-scenes journey of unfiltered conversations about our product, technology, our incredible team, and much more.
If you haven’t already, make sure to subscribe to get the latest episodes each month and if you have episode ideas or feedback, please review. We love to hear from you!To learn more about MycoWorks, follow our journey on instagram at @MycoWorks.