MW TALK 10
“The Last of Us” by MycoWorks Mycologists
“Are we threatened by fungi?” “Are guns the best way to kill mycelia?” “How will The Last of Us end?” These are just a few questions we asked two of our in-house mycologists at MycoWorks; Sachin Jain, Principal Scientist and Mycologist, and Phil McGaughy, artist, Research Assistant and Mycologist. In this episode, we discuss the HBO show, what’s fiction and what’s reality, the role of fungi in the mainstream, and how human perception of fungi has shifted over time.
“Fungi like things that have fallen apart, destroyed things, so bombing a city might not be the best strategy to kill them. Then, how? Freeze it to slow it down, or spray bleach to limit the spread of infection.
“With global warming, fungi can evolve to become more resistant to high temperatures. This is true.”
“There’s an observational pre-science that’s needed in nature and fungi, a certain wonder and naïveté before you know the science. This is key to understanding the organism.”.
“I felt responsible for fungi entering the mainstream –companies like MycoWorks are putting mycologists in the forefront.”
“Sustainability to me means coexistence. As long as my existence is harmonious with nature instead of harmful to nature.”
“It’s funny how they’re trying to kill fungi while, here at MycoWorks, we’re growing it.”
In this episode:
- 1:30 – From Paul Stamets to a champiñon farm at home.
- 6:40 – Are fungi a threat to humanity?
- 8:00 – Can mycelium communicate?
- 10:50 – How would MycoWorks mycologist kill the fungi in The Last of Us?
- 17:00 – Why have fungi always been the bad guy?
- 18:00 – Mycelium for the future: fungi as food, for medicine and health, materials, dyes, and much more.
- 19:50 – How will “The Last of Us” end? Will an environmental change stop the infection? Why is Ellie immune to it? Will this be the way? Will they overcome the infection with another fungus?
MycoWorks Talks is a space to feed your wonder and curiosity for a new class of materials. Xevi Gallego, our VP of Brand Marketing, hosts talks with people in the MycoWorks universe, taking you on a behind-the-scenes journey of unfiltered conversations about our product, technology, our incredible team, and much more.
If you haven’t already, make sure to subscribe to get the latest episodes each month and if you have episode ideas or feedback, please review. We love to hear from you!To learn more about MycoWorks, follow our journey on instagram at @MycoWorks.